What Are We Having??

Lima Bean

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

5 Years Ago

Five years ago today I was in a hotel room with my future sister-in-law and friend Jamie and it was the night before my wedding! I was barely 19 and he was 23. We were made for each other. We are frealishly the same and yet different enough to be the most compatible possible. We have come a long way in five years, literally. Midvale, South Jordan, Provo, South Jordan (again), and Riverton. It has been an amazing ride. We hear from other married couples about their 'nightmare' year and how they almost called it quits. I have also heard that once you make it to your 5th anniversary you can pretty much handle the whole marriage thing. Year one was fun and scary. We got married and had $0 monies. We had a $500 dollar a month rent that we had no idea how we would pay, but always seemed to make it. We were poor students going to SLCC and have an amazing time. We went to the midnight release of In Love and Death and saw Kris Roe at the mall (random). We stayed up late doing what married people do (wink wink) and then stayed up even later to fall asleep talking in each others arms.

I thought life couldn't get any better than that. I was wrong.


Year two was full of late nights still (something we have yet to let dwindle). Except year two had more responsibility. We supported each other through school prerequisites and crappy jobs that we hated. We had a plan and support, love, and a common goal was what created an even tighter bond. A bond I had no idea could get tighter. I thought we had maxed out on love and support but I was wrong. It gets stronger ever single day. Even today I feel closer to my wonderful husband than I did yesterday.

Year three and four were spent in Provo finishing both our schooling. We lived in a tiny shack of a duplex. It was horrible but we made it home and it was worth every second of it. Steven supported both of us while I went to school. He never complained but I know he was holding in worries and fears of not making it financially and the stress of school was getting to both of us, but our love never felt the strain. If anything the stress of life and adulthood just made our love stronger.

We are now in our dream home working in our career fields that we fought so hard to get.

I love him and he loves me. We are freaks. I want to spend every second with him and vise versa. We love our time together. We are total hermits but that makes us happy. We work in the yard together, stay up late (wink wink), and laugh. We laugh all the time.
I have my Prince Charming. I am living the fairy tale all us girls dreamed about. I am blessed and I know it. I never take him for granted. I tell him every day how much he means to me and I reflect on the promises I made to him constantly.

I am in love and I am loved.


A lot happens in five years. I can't wait to see what the next five are going to bring. :)

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Happy Anniversary Cassy and Steve!!! They used to say if you made it to 10 years then you've got it made when it comes to marriage--I guess the world has changed since then and maybe because the divorce rate is so high nowadays, "they" must have changed it to 5 years!! Congratulations on your first 5 years and best wishes for 5 more times Eternity!!
Love, Aunt Shauna

Chelsea Lee said...

You guys have it made. I'm so glad that everything has worked out so well. I could tell from the start that you two were going to make it. You guys always put each other first and that is so important. Here's to the next five Years!!!

cAsSy said...

Thanks ladies! We got to celebrate our 5 years by fixing our first broken house thing. Our kitchen faucet died so we got to go pick out a new one. Ha! Great way to kick off the next 5 years eh!?!?